"The flow of creativity feels like an avalanche of joy and wonder. Being open to that possibility creates connections with everything." - Feline Dreamers

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

October Soup

Did you ever have one of those days when you have to make some food to take to an event, and you're having a busy day, and you haven't been to the grocery store? Yep, that was me, today. And yet the soup BlackLion and I made, which I'm going to call October Soup (because Leftover Soup just sounds icky), came out fabulous! It's really yummy! Here's a sort of recipe, though I don't know if it can really be duplicated.

October Soup
by Starcat and BlackLion

We started by putting a big pot on the stove and setting some water to boil, perhaps 10 or 12 cups. To the water, we added 1/4 cup of Braggs' amino acids (you could use soy sauce or tamari) and 1/4 cup of the red miso I just got from the new food co-op, and stirred them in.

Once it was boiling, we added our leftovers: 3 cups of cooked basmati rice, 1 cup of corn, 1/2 a cup of peas, and some tomato paste (probably equivalent to a 12-ounce can's worth).

In the meantime, we baked two squash that a friend gave us. We split them in half and put them face down in a baking dish with a 1/4 inch or so of water, baking them for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. They were an acorn squash and a small spaghetti squash. When they were done and had cooled, we added them to the soup.

We also added the spicing (amounts are approximate): 2 cloves garlic (crushed), 2 Tbsp. chives (chopped), 1 tsp. chipoltle hot sauce, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. coriander, and 1 Tbsp. onion powder. We let the soup simmer for about half an hour, and then it was done. ElvenTiger had some for lunch, and proclaimed it delicious!

We brought the October Soup to homeschool group to share. I had to leave during dinner time for another event, but I'm told that it went over well, and that our chef friend even had two bowls! Huzzah for leftovers, and for necessity being the mother of invention!

1 comment:

dreaming in maine said...

Yummmmmm! I love making what I call hodgepodge soup (which means, like you, I can avoid using the term Leftover Soup). I nearly always have onions on hand, so they nearly always start things off, and then I add whatever I have on hand. Somehow, it's always delcious!