"The flow of creativity feels like an avalanche of joy and wonder. Being open to that possibility creates connections with everything." - Feline Dreamers

Friday, March 16, 2012

Recent Doings at the Homestead (and Beyond)

I've just noticed that I've had an inadvertent blog vacation, and haven't written anything here for quite a while. Hello there! How have you been?

Let's see, what have we been up to for the last couple of weeks? A whole lot, really! As an update to my last post, I've submitted both my article to Kind Over Matter, and (drum roll please) my book proposal for "Starcat's Corner: Essays on Pagan Living." Yay! I was really pleased to get those things done, despite having a bit of a tough time around Mercury being in retrograde (which seemed to coincide with a particularly difficult, er, time of the month). That convergence might have contributed to my lack of blog posts, now that I think of it.

Speaking of drums, we also have a bunch of gigs scheduled for this spring and summer, as part of the Dark Follies Rhythm Orchestra. In fact, we'll be attending the Steampunk World's Fair in New Jersey in May! Our drum rehearsals with Dark Follies have been going well, and we'll be showcasing our new tunes in early April.

We're also gearing up for the Life Rocks! Radical Unschooling conference, happening in just over two weeks. ElvenTiger has been counting down the days, and starting to gather up things we want to bring (art supplies for the door decorating contest, materials for the faerie house building workshop, and the like). Which reminds me, I need to order my new swimsuit.

We've been very busy with the homeschool co-op we belong to. I've been helping get the class schedule all set for the fourth session; one of my new friends and I have been working on it together. Dryst will be teaching a soccer class, and already has his full complement of twenty students signed up (well, twenty-one, actually). He's also working on his performance for the upcoming prize-speaking contest. BlackLion and I are getting our international vegetarian cooking class ready for the new session.

Dryst and I have an ongoing Scrabble game set up on the kitchen table, and we just got him signed up for lacrosse, which starts in about a week. I'm reading the first book of The Hunger Games aloud to ElvenTiger and BlackLion, and we're all really enjoying it. We've had a bake sale, a jewelry party, and ElvenTiger's swim classes, along with our regular homeschool group gatherings and get-togethers with our extended family. Busy busy!

At the homestead, spring's approach has brought us a renewed focus on health. We're enjoying lots of smoothies, salads, and steamed veggies. We got a mortar and pestle, and I'm going to make some new Indian spice blends, like garam masala. I've already been making a yummy curry powder blend, and I want to expand my repertoire. The weather has been warmer this week, so I've been hanging out laundry again, and really enjoying the fresh smell of the clothes.

I'm thankful for the spring weather, my delightful family and friends, and for feeling creative again. I'm sure I'll post more soon. I hope your early spring is going well!

No comments: