"The flow of creativity feels like an avalanche of joy and wonder. Being open to that possibility creates connections with everything." - Feline Dreamers

Friday, May 27, 2011

Nurturing Community

I've had a busier-than-normal week, and it's mostly involved socializing. Or another way of looking at it is nurturing the community. I'm blessed with a very diverse group of friends and acquaintances. Quite a few are unschoolers and Pagans (or, in some cases, both), some are friends I've had for a long time, others are fairly new, a few are former work colleagues, and some defy categorization. And I have a wonderful community of extended family, too!

On Wednesday we had our usual homeschool group gathering, but due to illness and one member's new baby (yay!) it was smaller than usual. We moved the party from the usual farmhouse to a different family's farm. We got to meet their new baby chicks, and see what's going on in the garden. We helped cheer up a Mom who was feeling low, too. We brought her chili, casserole, and belated birthday gifts.

After that, BlackLion and I went out for a night on the town (a fairly rare occurrence) with some former colleagues of mine. It was like our own personal pub crawl. I had a lot of fun! I'm not normally much of a drinker, but I enjoyed some spirits with a very spirited group of folks. There was much merriment and even hilarity.

Thursday found us hosting the monthly role-playing game that we're involved with, based on the TV series Supernatural. We made baked potatoes and set up a "potato bar" with lots of different toppings. The game session was a whole lot of fun. I have to say, I think it was one of the best sessions yet! That night, the kids had a couple of overnight guests. These cool kids, who are part of our homeschool group, are welcome anytime. The adults of our family also went out briefly, to hear Quester sing at the open mic night down the street. Rock on!

And tonight, we attended a birthday dinner for a dear magickal friend, with our entire Elements Study Group. I made a cake (photos to come, dear cake lovers) which was received with much adoration. The food was yummy, and the companionship even more delicious.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with a busy week like this, and less than my usual time for creativity and contemplation. But this time, I'm celebrating the diverse and delightful community around me. And I'm also thankful that I have this weekend to rest up and recharge. Blessings, friends!

No comments: