"The flow of creativity feels like an avalanche of joy and wonder. Being open to that possibility creates connections with everything." - Feline Dreamers

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Darkness and Poetry

Here's a poem I wrote recently. I went back and forth on whether to post it, since it's kind of dark. I fully realize the need for balance, and the value of darkness. But there's already a whole "news and entertainment" industry set up to spread that message. Anyway, I decided to share the poem after all, since my Word of the Year is "create," and creativity can be inspired by a wide range of emotions and experiences.

To the Angel

Being human is not for me.
Is it too late to reconsider
This experiment in
Blood & flesh & bone,
Tears & fears & sorrows?
Yes, I know it is,
For me, caught in these
Everyday dramas,
Cautious creations,
Resplendent yearnings.
At night I dream myself home,
Back in the realm of
Light & joy & brilliance,
Where the mysteries
Are familiar,
The love is felt, always,
And I am not so
Desperately alone.

4 comments:

Keri said...

I think dark poems are a great way to purge the negative feelings - like having a good cry, or taking an extra sulky nap.

JWL said...

Nice work.... I think it's important that we achieve and articulate the light/dark balance within ourselves, and not rely on Hollywood Darkness(tm) to articulate it for us.

Keri, I love the concept of "extra sulky nap".... :-D

Nikki Starcat Shields said...

Thanks, guys! I love the nap description, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I can relate to the feeling

xo
jenn